Thank you so much to Stefanie over at Runs On Oats for nominating me for the Liebster Blog Award! I haven’t heard of it before but as Lauren says, it’s given to bloggers by bloggers to help get them some exposure in the blogosphere – awesome!
The award’s guidelines are:
- Acknowledge and link back to the person who nominated you
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you
- Share 11 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers.
- Give your nominees 11 questions to answer on their blog when they post about the Liebster Award.
So here are my answers to Lauren’s questions:
What is your favourite spice to cook with?
That’s hard as most dishes require more than one spice! Going to say black pepper then, as it literally makes any dish better.
If you were stranded on a desert island, what one thing would you take?
An easily flyable plane. (Sorry not sorry).
Do you prefer sweet or salty?
Definitely sweet. I live for sweet things. Especially chocolate….mmmm, now this is making me want chocolate.
What is your go-to breakfast?
At the moment – frozen potato waffles cooked in a toaster with ‘Heinz 5 Beans’. I usually have something different every day so don’t really have a ‘go-to’, but when I have nothing in the fridge this is what goes in my belly. It’s yummy and comforting, don’t judge.
Do you have any food allergies? If so, what is it? If not, name one food you absolutely can not stand.
No, luckily! Although I suspect I may be intolerant to gluten (as a lot of people are unknowingly!). I can’t stand celery, it’s in a lot of food that I eat (not by choice), and it always stands out in my mouth above all other flavours. Luckily halfway through whatever I’m eating/drinking, my brain usually numbs itself to the disgusting taste so it’s not so bad!
Were you inspired by anyone in your cooking?
I suppose my mum and granny were the first to inspire me (I can make a pretty mean dumpling stew), but I’m still getting inspired every day by flicking through posts tagged as ‘vegan’ on my WordPress reader!
What is your one guilty indulgence that you treat yourself to?
I guess it would be anything with gluten in it as I’m currently trying really hard to avoid it. However, I’m trying to see glutenous foods less as a treat and more as an unnecessary evil so I hope the answer to this post will change in time.
What is your favourite Starbucks beverage? If you don’t like coffee or tea, what is your favourite beverage?
Never been into Starbucks, or coffee in general. I used to love tea though, there’s nothing like it to help calm you down – ironic seeing as caffeine’s a stimulant! My favourite drink without a doubt right now is Chocaffinitea‘s dairy free hot chocolate (the cafe is in Brighton’s North Laine area) – it’s made only with high quality melted madagascan dark chocolate and water, condensed down to a thick, creamy, fruity, delicious, custard-like consistency. Can you tell how much I’m in love with it?
Currently reading? If not, what is your favourite book?
I’m currently reading:
– ‘Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff’ by Richard Carlson, given to me for Christmas by a good friend who could see me struggling a bit, trying to figure out what I wanted to do after leaving full time education! (Still don’t know but at least I can manage stress a bit better!).
– ‘Women Who Run With The Wolves’ by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. I saw a customer at the cafe I work at reading it and asked if it was any good – I was told that every woman should read it right away and make sure their daughters read it. After such a recommendation I had to see for myself, and sure enough it’s a very interesting and thought/emotion provoking read.
– ‘Soul Mates, honouring the mysteries of love and relationship’ by Thomas Moore. This was recommended to me by another customer (my favourite) and isn’t as soppy as it sounds. The author gives an incredibly broad and wise perspective on things as he is an American psychotherapist and former monk.
What is your favourite day of the week, and why?
Any day I’m not working! It changes weekly.
If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?
Somewhere beautiful, warm and peaceful.
Okay, now for 11 random facts about myself:
1) My middle name is Isabell. Is-a-bell. “Zoe is-a-bell”, the mean kids chanted. Only joking, they were more preoccupied making fun of my surname: Brownrigg (think Brownwig, Brownring, etc.).
2) I grew up in the countryside close to Brighton, on 24 acres of land shared by 20 or so families (we each had our own house though, it wasn’t weird). There were about 15 kids around my age and it was all meadows and woodlands, horses and chickens, and general fun and games. No, don’t worry, I wasn’t homeschooled. It was an incredible place to grow up.
3) I have a weird natural affinity with the humble recorder.
4) I get really hyper in supermarkets…slightly less so now that I’m vegan and can’t take advantage of most of the deals.
5) In the summer, there are a few freckles that come out near my lips and make me look like a perpetual chocolate gobbler…although I actually am anyway so it’s fine.
6) I’ve met and bumped fists with Kool and The Gang (remember the classics ‘Ladies Night’, ‘Celebration’ and ‘Get Down On It’, that was them!) backstage at Hop Farm when my band won a competition to play there. They were awesome.
Ooh this is getting hard now to think of stuff now…ummm…
7) I’ve always wanted to go to New Zealand and run around the hills with a stern, determined face on and pretend I’m in Lord of the Rings. In fact, me and Dan are thinking of escaping there this winter and skipping Christmas for fun in the sun.
8) My favourite film is Howl’s Moving Castle, from Studio Ghibli (anime) and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Something about it is deeply comforting, yet slightly disturbing in that fantastical way that seems to be a Studio Ghibli trademark.
9) I can’t whistle. Everyone thinks they can teach me, everyone has failed.
10) I’m an ‘only child’, so no brothers or sisters. Judge away. Luckily, I was never lonely growing up in the community project.
11) My biggest fear is those I love dying. Wow that’s a pretty bleak place to end…sorry about that!
And now I nominate 11 other blogs to do the same thing!
These are (in no particular order):
- Zoe’s Clean Kitchen
- One Vegan Day At A Time
- Life Gone Vegan
- Blissful Britt
- So How Do You Get Your Protein?
- Live and Love Your Health
- Active Vegan
- Quinoa and Cookies
- Recipes and Tales from a Crunchy Vegan
- The London Vegan
Hi Bloggers, I’ve nominated you because I find your posts very interesting and inspirational! My questions to you are:
1) What are the most noticeable changes in yourself since becoming vegan/eating healthier?
2) What 3 courses would you make if I (or any other vegan) came round for dinner?
3) What is the toughest thing about being vegan/having an alternative diet?
4) What breakfast gets you going at the start of the day and keeps you full until Lunch?
5) What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learnt about food/diet recently?
6) What is your favourite alternative to sugar?
7) What is your favourite food documentary?
8) How do you make sure you get enough B12?
9) Do you follow the Raw ’til 4 diet? If not, what are your thoughts on it?
10) What is your favourite juice/smoothie recipe?
Can’t wait to read all of your responses, please make sure to tag me back so I get notified 🙂