I work in a fast-paced Vegetarian/Vegan cafe in Brighton and often need a snack, or two, to keep me going ’til my lunch break (often not until 4 or 5pm!). After snaffling some of my boyfriend’s ‘Nakd’ bars and finding them delicious AND satisfying, I looked at the ingredients of my favourite flavour (cocoa orange) and knew I could easily make them myself and save a bit of money!
So here’s how I made mine, I don’t want to call it a ‘recipe’, as it was very thrown together and is so customisable to any taste, but you get the picture!
– 1 packet of dates (remember to pit them if not already!)
– A glug of date syrup or similar, such as agave or maple (maybe only necessary if you can’t get the really squidgy dates!)
– Half a packet of blanched almonds
– A handful of mixed seeds (I used an ‘Omega 4’ mix of pumpkin seeds, linseeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds)
– A desert spoon of cocoa powder
– A few drops of orange essence
That’s all! The method is even easier:
Put all of the above into a blender and blend until the nuts are at your preferred size.
I suppose you could blend the nuts first if you want them roughly the same size, but I like that there is the occasional larger piece in mine. Then, spoon the mixture into a rectangular Tupperware or baking pan etc, pat down firmly with a spoon and refrigerate.
When the mixture is chilled, it becomes firm enough to cut bars out of, as and when you need them!
I hope you enjoy eating these as much as I do, if you create any other yummy flavours, comment and let me know!
Keep feeling awesome (these will definitely help!),